Cooking up place with artists
As we launch Irrigate, Springboard would like to offer a recipe based on this past summer’s work with 10 placemaking artists and two neighborhoods exploring the meaning of streets, public space, arts and community.
An artist-led, creative, place-full summer (suitable for main course)
- Artists - 10, of varying backgrounds ideal
- Placemaking concepts - a healthy dash for inspiration
- Collaboration tools - a pinch for confidence
- Neighborhood interests – a big handful
- Food and supplies - whatever you can conjure up…think Stone Soup
- Block hosts - 1 resident host+ per block
- Residents - the more, the yummier
- In a large, heat-safe bowl, immerse artists in placemaking concepts, collaboration tools, and neighborhood interests.
- Let soak for a few days, stirring the mixture every so often until ideas ripen and take shape.
- Add supplies and food as requested – artists can absorb whatever you give them.
- Have block hosts spread the word thickly.
On party day
- Arrange block parties with block hosts to create an environment of learning and play.
- Spread artists and their creative placemaking projects on the streets.
- Throw in residents and stir well. A little lumpy is ok.
- Garnish generously with more food.
- Sit back and see what happens.
As many as show up!