The Light Box at Goldman WarehouseMiami, FL
ArtPlace funding will support the activation and stabilization of a 12,000 sq. ft. multi-tenant performance and visual art space in the heart of Wynwood, an up-and-coming light industrial warehouse arts district in Miami. The Light Box, orchestrated by Miami Light Project, will be a space for artists to research and make work, explore disciplines, and hone their unique voices through extended residencies, international exchange, cross-disciplinary approaches and the presentation of new work.
This month, we again spoke with MLP managing producer Rebekah Lengel to learn about one of the most rewarding aspects of their ArtPlace programming.
LENGEL: The most rewarding aspects would have to be the development of our Technical Fellowship Program.
Created as a workforce training program for a new generation of theater technicians who call Miami home, we were pleasantly surprised with the incredible response we received from applicants for the program- not only did we exceed our expectations, but we increased our capacity to accommodate as many candidates as we possibly could.
Through a 6 week intensive program, our fellows have taken courses in Lighting, Sound Design, Projection & Video Design, Set Construction and more from professional theater technicians and designers. Upon graduation, our Fellows will work as our Technical Interns on our running crew throughout our season.
Here is a sampling of some of the responses we have received from our Fellows:
- The professor was amazing at teaching and explaining all aspects. It was easy to follow and understand and he had a vast knowledge on the subject and related items.
- This audio class definitely made me feel comfortable looking at an analog audio sound board. I can now look at a designer and know what is going on.
- The cable making workshop was spot on. Excellent. It was also good that he had us set up the speakers and sound boards from scratch.
- I wish we had more classes on each course. Very thankful to have my instructors available for future reference.
- I think [the Instructor] did a magnificent job teaching to accommodate those of lower knowledge levels and brought us all to be about equal. I don’t think I’ve ever been taught so much so quickly (but not too quickly) before.
With the initial success of this program, we have already secured funds to continue it next season- we see it as a program that not only has legs, but tremendous value for our community!