Pop Up SLAM & FaçadeNew York, NY
The STREB Lab for Action Mechanics (SLAM) is using its ArtPlace grant to expand its unique programming offsite, creating “Pop Up” SLAM adaptable action zones which can occupy a myriad of public spaces including parks, vacant lots and parking lots. This project will also incorporate the design by Norwegian architecture firm Snohetta of a new façade for STREB’s Brooklyn studio.
This month has been marked by an expansion and deepening of our partnership with St. Nick’s Alliance.
St. Nicks Alliance emerged in 1975 at the forefront of a nationwide grassroots movement to preserve and improve threatened urban areas. In Brooklyn, NY’s Williamsburg, a group of determined residents and local business people united and committed themselves to end general decline in their neighborhood. Today, St. Nicks is dedicated to keeping North Brooklyn sustainable for low- to moderate-income people. Each year St. Nicks provides essential services and programs to more than 9,000 people focusing on providing services in five main areas: affordable housing, health care, workforce and economic development, and youth and education.
STREB’s partnership with St. Nick’s began in December as described in our ArtPlace blog post of that month. Following up on the enthusiasm and excitement generated that evening and during planning conversations, the following plan has been put into place:
Location: Williamsburg Beacon Center (Grand Street)
• Twice monthly after-school class for St. Nick’s Cheer Squad taught by STREB company member Daniel Rysak (by special request!)
• Saturday POPACTION classes taught by STREB company members and AOP’s*
12-1pm: 6th-8th grade
1-2pm: 9th-12th grade
Location: Greenpoint Beacon Center (at IS126 across from McCarren Park @ Leonard and Bayard Sts.)
• Weekly POPACTION after-school class for St. Nick’s Dance Club (6th-8th grade) taught STREB company member with the Beacon dance instructor, Jessica B., learning and assisting
• masterclasses using company equipment
• participation in monthly TEEN and TWEEN ACTION CLUBS
• attendance at spring SLAM SHOW season
• attendance at SLAM Summer Camp (under discussion)
Location: Williamsburg/Greenpoint parks and outdoor spaces
• participation in POP UP SLAM (under discussion)
*AOP: a work/study internship program in teaching, production and management for teens and adults. In exchange for each 3-hour shift, AOP participants are allowed to take a SLAM class free of charge.